Many BPOs and call centers have realized the importance of call quality monitoring to provide the best possible customer experience. This does not only make customers feel satisfied, but it also decreases overall agent training time. Also, this ensures that call quality monitoring best practices are implemented during each call.
Previously, most companies only had the time to listen to a few calls per day. Yet, that leaves a high number of calls that go unchecked.
Thanks to advancements in telecommunication technology, various performance metrics are now in place to determine and ensure that call center quality monitoring is taking place effectively. This includes performance management, speech, and data analytics, quality assurance, and workforce management – to name a few.
What Is Call Center Quality Monitoring?
Call center quality monitoring is a practice in which a company or business owner listens and evaluates the telephone conversation between employees and customers. It is also known as call logging, agent monitoring, or quality monitoring but the process is the same overall.
The end goal is to improve customer support and handling, trust, and loyalty. At the same time, it brushes up essential customer service skills among calling agents. This is done in accordance with various insights obtained.
Initially, the traditional approach to call quality monitoring was just to randomly monitor calls, emails, or chats. This resulted in a lot of low-value interaction. But today, many companies are starting to measure call quality using various strategies.
This includes customer feedback, spreadsheet forms, live monitoring, automated scoring based on speech analytics, and commercial or in-house software. These help companies to understand how their agents are interacting with clients or customers on a daily basis.
Here’s a simple scenario with call quality monitoring: You, as the customer, calls company XYZ, and you initially hear a message saying, “Thank you for calling. This call may be monitored for Quality Assurance purposes.”
What Are The Benefits Of Call Center Monitoring?
Any department within a company or organization can benefit from call monitoring. This monitoring happens frequently within those departments that regularly engage with clients and customers.
Departments may include Sales, Marketing, and Technical Support teams – to name a few. With a proper management team analyzing calls, organizations are able to run more efficiently. Also, it speeds up the training process for any new employees joining the company.
1. Better visibility and making decisions with confidence.
Quality monitoring call centers have an edge compared to their competitors. Continuous monitoring of calls comes with consolidated reporting, real-time dashboards, scorecards, and tickers.
This helps in understanding trends and useful insights to analyze the performance of agents and staff members. Moreover, it uncovers the demographics, days, and times where conversions are high. Organizations get better visibility and can make better strategic decisions with confidence.
2. Advantageous for call center managers.
Call monitoring helps managers in cloud contact centers to identify problems quickly and systematically. It figures out the impact of operational processes on call quality. More importantly, it explores opportunities for improvement and employee training needs.
3. Customers avail excellent services.
Call monitoring is also advantageous for customers apart from organizations. Benefits include increased quality standards and consistency of the experience on each call. Moreover, a boost in service quality.
4. Increase in the overall performance.
Companies are able to consistently deliver excellent service to customers with call center monitoring. This helps with an increase in sales and service performance. As a result, an improvement in overall customer satisfaction and experience.
How to Start the Call Center Quality Monitoring Process
There are various strategies that can help companies to start the call center quality monitoring process in a more efficient manner. These strategies help with proper implementation, execution, and derive useful insights that benefit the business.
1. Always tie quality scores to training.
Companies need to increase evaluation and coaching frequency among call agents. Moreover, agents should also do self-evaluation on a regular basis. This includes allowing them to self evaluate and identify calls which were successful or need improvement.
2. Use analytics to identify and find higher value calls.
Companies should make a practice of capturing key data and events for each call attended. This includes Case ID, the reason for the call, model or product type, and any notes. These events or data fields may vary depending on your business.
Moreover, create category buckets based on the analysis and trends that illustrate what is more important to customers. These categories help to prepare well in advance for the call. These include requested escalation, negative sentiment, and competitor mention.
Negative sentiment is mostly for feedback regarding the cancellation, confusion, and difficulty and frustration in using the company’s product or service. Lastly, competitive mention is about describing how you are better than other competitors in the market.
3. Creating a proper call quality monitoring form.
Companies should design and create a proper call center quality assurance form for best practices. This is very crucial for new employees who have recently joined the team and you want to give them feedback.
A well designed and proper call monitoring form should reflect what is important to your company and customers. It should reflect the knowledge, skills, and abilities that you are going to evaluate. Most importantly, organizing questions in the flow of a call and keeping forms short and targeted.
4. Create weighted KPIs and targets.
These metrics include handling time which can be further categorized into talk time and after call wrap time, availability, and schedule adherence. Moreover, try to measure KPIs throughout the day or in real time for better insights and decision making.
5. Accurately measure first contact resolution (FCR).
FCR or first contact resolution plays an important role in companies that seek to retain customers long-term. There are various ways to effectively measure FCR including post-call survey, recent contact survey, annual survey, and calculations from CRM systems.
6. Come up with automated actions.
It is important to remember that every KPI should have a response plan and owner. This entails sending agents reminder messages to adhere to schedules. Automated actions include alerts in case a call handle time exceeds the threshold. Another scenario would be flagging and assigning for QA review where repeated calls are made for the same issue.
How to Improve Your Call Quality Monitoring
Many companies should follow certain steps that help them improve call quality monitoring within their organization:
- Companies can monitor all other communication channels apart from listening to voice calls. This includes email, LIVE chat, and SMS. Also, they should provide feedback to low performers.
- Focus on agents with low-performance stats and know what KPIs to set that have the most impact.
- Motivate your agents to give their best shot and provide good call quality to customers. Offer various perks, benefits, and bonuses for agents that reach a milestone or hit the target goal.
- Allow your agents to take breaks frequently and experience flexible working hours. This gives them the opportunity to remove their headphones and unwind for a while to relax.
- Hire calling agents selectively and train them continuously. This ensures that they stay ahead and always perform better.
- Try to invest in new technologies and software within your workflow. This helps with a better tracking mechanism, responsive customer service, and experience. These technologies streamline the overall process without creating an additional burden on the shoulder of the calling agents.
- Provide real-time stats in the dashboard of the calling agents to keep them motivated and give their best shot in getting higher conversion and sales. This dashboard should show stats on customer satisfaction and agent productivity.
Call monitoring definitely plays a major role in helping businesses and organizations reach new heights and increase their success rate. Various insights derived from call monitoring enable companies to provide better call quality to customers and make better, more strategic business decisions.