8 Best VoIP Apps For Business Communication in 2020
Within the last two decades, the world has observed some major advancements in the technology sector. From landlines to free phone calls via VoIP apps and so on.
As the name suggests, VoIP requires an internet connection to make and receive calls. It has been in use since 1995 back when it was termed “Internet Phones”. Fast forward to today, VoIP has expanded so much that people even refer to it as the VoIP industry.
VoIP makes it not just possible but also affordable to connect employers with employees and clients. It doesn’t matter whether they reside locally or abroad – VoIP is making sure that they connect regardless of the geography.
What is a VoIP app?
In this app-driven world, it is nearly impossible not to mention any app that lets you connect with others. VoIP apps are specially developed for the sole purpose of communication. There’s a high chance that you’re currently using one of the apps.
These apps are so user-friendly that all you need to do is get a VoIP number, download the app, log in with your credentials, and start using them. Just like that! No extra configuration is required. All you need is a fast and stable internet connection.
VoIP apps use the Session Initiation Protocol (or SIP) as an underlying technology.
Let’s figure out what it is that you’re missing if you’re not using one of the best VoIP apps out there. The most admired benefits of using a VoIP app are as follows:
- User-Friendly: VoIP apps can easily be installed on any device such as smartphones, tablets, and even laptops or desktops. The main reason VoIP apps have become popular is because of their simplicity in usage and robust features. Some VoIP apps may even remember and save your SIP credentials on your device so that you don’t have to enter them again.
- Feature-Rich: Some of the features include multi-level auto attendants, HD call quality, conference calls, visual voicemail, hold music, call forwarding, and more. Any organization can control and configure the VoIP apps through one dashboard only.
- Flexibility: According to Buffer, one of the main hurdles that people are facing in remote work culture is the lack of communication and collaboration. One of the best assets of VoIP apps that sort out this problem is their multi-platform support feature. Many of these apps allow users to be logged in from multiple devices simultaneously and the data is automatically synced between them.
Now that you have an idea of the basics and benefits of VoIP apps, let’s take a look at some of the most popular ones available in the market.
1. ULTATEL Clarity Connect
In the category of VoIP apps, our first choice is Clarity Connect. ULTATEL also made its mark among the top 10 VoIP Solutions Providers list on Enterprise Networking Mag. Let’s look at a few important features that make it an outstanding option:
- HD voice and 1080p video calls
- Team messaging
- Video conferencing
- 24/7/365 support
- Easy to use interface
- You can add participants during a call
- Easy to access contacts
- Auto attendants
- Can be integrated with Microsoft Teams
- Available in various languages
2. Bria X-Lite
Bria provides a great solution in the softphone domain. Getting an X-Lite connection is fairly simple. The user must register themselves on their website. The VoIP app that Bria is offering is platform-independent. The app is very simple and easy to use.
- 24×7 assistance
- HD Calls
- Call recording
- Call transfer
- Auto answer
- Platform independent
- Easy to use
- Easy management of contact list
- Works with VoIP, ITSP, and SIP service providers
- App for users without administrative privileges may fail to start on reboot
- Extensions may fail to divert to the concerned person or department
- Users face problems with bluetooth compatibility
Platform: macOS and Windows, Android, and iOS
Price: Free – $5 per Month
Zoiper provides a feature-riched VoIP service. Most of its services are mainly free, but you can get all the additional features by paying an affordable subscription cost.
One feature that makes Zoiper stand out from its competitors is that it allows you to customize almost everything. Tech-savvy individuals who like to use apps and software their way will love it. But for those who don’t like to configure much may find it a little annoying as they have to tweak some settings even before making their first call.
- HD Calls
- Call recording
- Supports encryption
- Unified VoIP Communication
- Easily customizable
- Extensive support for VoIP codecs
- Simple contact list management
- Changing the status to “break” or “unavailable” does not stop incoming calls
- After software update, re-configuration of accounts is required
- If you are using it for long time, you have to restart the system
Platform: Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS
Price: € 49.95 for lifetime access
Skype is one of the most popular free VoIP apps used for communication among peers and clients. Skype has dominated the market since 2003. The trust and services that the app is providing are the primary reasons the company survived for so long and made its name on its own.
Skype offers free Skype-to-Skype calls. You can even call a local landline or mobile number from the app by paying a small charge.
- HD Audio and Video calling
- Supports communication as well as collaboration
- Call recording
- Live Subtitles
- Phone Calling in the US only
- Low possibility of facing problems
- Screen sharing
- Low cost
- Can integrate with Office 365 applications
- The mobile version of the app is not reliable
- Does not support other VoIP connections
- Skype for Business does not sync with the regular version of Skype
Platform: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Xbox
Price: Free – $2.99+ per month
5. Android SIP Support
This feature is specially developed for Android users. Android devices have this built-in feature so that it can work with SIP service providers out of the box. It doesn’t require you to download and install any app but it needs some additional configuration before usage.
This feature allows users to make calls without even inserting sim cards. All you need is a good and stable wifi connection and you are good to go. Since it is a very basic feature, it only allows users to make and receive calls and nothing else.
- Works out of the box with Android devices
- SIP support is integrated into the phone app
- Does not consume much battery power
- No installation required
- No cross-platform compatibility
- Can only be used for audio calls
The most popular voice over IP app among Android and iPhone users is Whatsapp. It has become the mainstream app to connect with family, friends, and colleagues. It has gained its popularity so much that it attracted Facebook as a potential buyer which acquired it for $21 Billion in 2014.
One of the major drawbacks of the app is that it cannot contact a landline or a phone. If you want to connect with another person, the other user must have Whatsapp installed and logged in. But since it’s been used by most of the population, users can comfortably communicate among themselves.
- HD Audio and Video calling
- Group chat
- Group video call
- Instant messaging
- Simple, Reliable Messaging
- End-to-End Encryption
- Easy to use
- Screen sharing is not supported.
- No support for text messaging
- Mobile number of the person should be in the contact list of the phone
Platform: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS
7. Vonage Business
If you are new to the VoIP world, you might like using this app for its simplicity and ease of use. Here’s what the app has to offer to its users.
- Audio and video calls
- Text Messaging (SMS)
- Call Recording
- Reliable app
- Suitable for business
- The design of the app is simple
- Charges as per the number of connections
- Basic VoIP services like call recording, call conference, spam protection, and so on are not free
- Requires a high-speed internet connection
Platform: Android, iOS, macOS, Windows
Price: Starts from $19.99 per month per user
8. Google Voice
Google Voice is one of the free VoIP mobile applications. It is best suited for solopreneurs or freelancers.
- 24×7 support
- Google apps integration
- Call forwarding
- Supports desk phones
- For densely populated countries, free outgoing calls to local mobile or landline numbers are available
- Easy to use and configure
- Pre-loaded with all the necessary basic features
- The app is only available for US-based individuals
- Very limited availability
- Cannot meet the requirements of a business
Price: Free – $30 per month per user
Communication is essential in every company. Your choice of VoIP app will depend on your needs and preference. The right app will boost your business by enabling you to accomplish your goals. We hope that this list helped!